Fuligo septica is a species of slime mold. It is commonly known as the dog vomit slime mold or scrambled egg slime because of its peculiar yellowish, bile-colored appearance. A common species with a worldwide distribution, it is often found on bark mulch or in lawns in urban areas after heavy rain or excessive watering. Their spores are spread by wind. To remove the mold, be sure to dig it while it still looks like vomit. Once it powders and spreads, you can get a giant mold problem in the garden. Dig out the mold entirely and throw it out. Do not burn it. Do not compost it. Then wash all the tools and gloves you used with a weak bleach mixture as it can recontaminate your yard later. Be sure to cut back on the watering of the lawn for a while. Best of luck!
While you can try to remove dog vomit slime mold with a shovel, it s nearly impossible to eradicate it. The prolific spores spread easily and will remain in the organic material in the garden. However, if you dislike the aesthetic of dog vomit slime mold in your flower beds or near the front walkway, simply use a shovel to scoop the top layer of the mulch that s feeding the slime mold, and dispose of it in an inconspicuous area. It is best not to dispose of it in your compost pile unless you practice hot composting ; otherwise, more of the fungus may show up in your garden later.
I would try straight bleach or liquid pool shock. I know years ago I had some fungus growing on my lawn and backwashed my pool filter onto the lawn and within 24 hours it was gone.
Why were you awake and online at 4 am…. so many questions…
What if the mold is surrounding the trunk of an evergreen shrub? How do I treat it without hurting the shrub?
Put turmeric on top of it , it will not spread further
Isn’t it a part of the biology breaking down the wood chips? I think it would be good in a garden. It disappears pretty fast as it breaks down.
This mold is actually good for your garden!! It eats the toxic metals in your soil actually making it healthier!! So let it be ♡ it should go away within 48 hours!
Nothing you have said about “slime mould” is correct..it is an incredible collections of organisms that can actually co-operate and move (although quite slowly) This mould is actually good for your garden!! It can break down the toxic metals in your soil actually making it healthier . Often they appear to vanish ,but that is because slime moulds can break down into their individual components and go their own way .They are much maligned but are harmless and are beneficial.Slime moulds are not toxic, poisonous or venomous as most people believe . Better yet they help enrich the soil by braking up dead organic material (invcluding fungi )and bacteria and then return the nutrients to the soil. The earth needs Slime moulds and you are lucky if you find one in your garden doing the job nature created it for (which is to improve soil ) They will NOT take over your garden and are not a problem at all !